© V.Ravi Kumar. All rights reserved.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Monday, March 10, 2008

You got to ask me nicely

Now for those of you who have seen the 1992 movie "A few good men" - instant recognition would be seen on your countenance; for those who have not - I must strongly recommend that you see this film. Broadly can be categorised as what is called a courtroom drama, but it is a must see for some of the powerful lines spouted by Jack Nicholson. He plays the role of Col Nathan R Jessop, head of a marine unit in Guantanamo Bay Cuba. One of the marines, Willie Santiago, in his unit dies under suspicious circumstances. It is suspected that he died during the administration of a "code red". While investigating this, the navy lawyer Daniel Kaffee (Tom Cruise) asks Jessop for Santiago's transfer order. Jessop responds with
"You see Danny, I can deal with the bullets, and the bombs, and the blood. I don't want money, and I don't want medals. What I do want is for you to stand there in that faggoty white uniform and with your Harvard mouth extend me some fucking courtesy. You gotta ask me nicely."
Jessop is insisting that Danny should add a sir while asking him for "whatever it is that he wants". He has got to "ask him nicely"
Now when we go out into any office, you have to be very careful that you don't trip over the myriad king size egos all around. People would go to extreme lengths to ensure that they do not do work for people who they think are arrogant. They have to "be asked nicely". Hence, in a world full of such insecure people, when you ask someone to get information from a highly egotistical officer ("Are there any other kinds?"), remember
"You got to ask nicely"
I thought I would slip in an English quote. Next time we will be back to the traditional Hindi fare. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment